Wednesday, March 22, 2006

New knot book: The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework

I saw this book in Border's when I was studying last weekend. I had a long debate with myself whether to get it, because I already had a knot book by the same author from 5 years ago so why do I need this one. On the other hand that one was big and clunky while this one was small and convenient. And, of course it had new knots, and was in the bargain bin so it was cheap. In the end I bought it. Having time to examine it I'm very happy that I did. It has much better illustrations and descriptions and by my count 56 new knots, all of which look useful and interesting especially a whole section of decorative knots, plaits and block and tackle systems that were completely missing from the previous version. I'm very happy with it. Well worth the money. The only problem is that it is not at all an "ultimate encyclopedia" of knots like it claims. It's just the opposite in that it narrowly concentrates on just a few knots you might actually use for a particular circumstance and how you should use them. Which for my purposes, of course, is even better than a huge encyclopedia.
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Mike said...

icicle "hitch" because it attaches a rope to a pole, and yes. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Who Links Here